Over the years, I have collected many beautiful batik fabrics. It seemed that they fell out of favor for awhile but I held on to my very favorites.
I decided to participate in Moda Blockheads 6, where a new quilt block pattern is released every week for several months. The batiks I had kept were mostly brights and I had a beautiful black fabric with gold accents that looked like a night sky to me.
I'm always behind when it comes to making blocks but when we knew were downsizing, I needed to use up this fabric rather than pack it to take with me.The blocks were several different sizes
There was one large block that was 26" square. So many little half square triangles. And when it was done, I hated it with the rest of the blocks. The yellow was too bright. I didn't like the orange-green combination.
First I thought I could get by with just slightly changing the large center triangles But still no...
So I started all over again and went with completely different colors and was much happier.
But there was no way I was getting rid of the first block after all the time it took me to make. So I made it the centerpiece of the backing. I used some hand dyed fabric by Ricky Tims so the backing definitely makes a statement!There were a lot of blocks that were just little nine patches. Here I'm auditioning color placement.They were quick and easy--they kind of made up for the big star in the middle.The front.
I used a bright red with gold metallic sparklers as the binding. Because of the bright colors and the gold metallic accents, it seemed like Fireworks was the perfect name for the quilt.
So of course when the fireworks stands started popping up before the 4th of July, one of them seemed like the perfect photographic background.
Quilt Name: Fireworks
Quilt Pattern: Blocks from Moda Blockheads 6
Made by: Cindy Wiens
Quilted by: Helene Shannon
Completed: 2026
Size: 62" x 79"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.